Will The County Be Cutting taxes Now That The Province Is Taking Back Costs?

If you haven’t read the story in the Nov 3 Sentinel entitled “Warden Holbrough applauds Ontario’s promise to take back social service dollars” you should. Our Warden Applauds the Provincial government’s promise to upload social service and court costs back to the Province. These costs were downloaded by the Province in 1990s.
“Holbrough said there is no guarantee that taxes will be reduced because of move..” Holbrough is referring to our County/Municipal taxes.
The Province will foot the bill but the County will continue to collect the money for services it no longer provides. Where is the Province going to get the money to provide the services? They will have to raise Provincial taxes.
So we will be taxed twice for the same services and the County will happily pocket money they no longer require. This is a blatant tax increase and they are not even pretending they are going to offer us any more services for our money.
In the ’90s the Province downloaded the services. Our County taxes went up to pay for them. Now the Province is uploading the services. Our Provincial taxes will go up but the County refuses to give us back our money for services they no longer provide. I guess we know where the money for that raise they want is coming from.
The transfer is proposed to be phased in between 2011 and 2018. There’s a couple of elections in there. Let’s make sure we elect people who believe in fair taxation and not double dipping into our pockets. Obviously Mr Holborough will not be on the list to be reelected.
Submitted by AW


  1. jim bender
    Posted November 4, 2008 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

    No doubt there will be NO tax breaks as long as these guys are sitting at the wheel.
    They already have our money, they will find another way to spend it on things that we do not approve of like a massive art gallery that is used by one or two of the mayors best friends.(oh, maybe one or two of those fool councillors we have will go as well)
    We are all about to get a proper screwing from these guys.
    Taxes need to be cut to reflect the uploading of these welfare ODSP costs to the province. anything other than that is just a plain old cash grab.

  2. Anonymous
    Posted November 4, 2008 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

    today I am happy that I am a renter, not a property owner here.

  3. Anonymous
    Posted November 4, 2008 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

    Dear Renter:

    You’re happy because you think you don’t pay property taxes? Your landlord pays property taxes. Where do you think he gets the money to pay them. If his taxes go up so does your rent. We ALL pay property taxes.

    There are NO exemptions or deductibles. Property taxes are a tax on everyone including the poor. Only the homeless avoid property taxes.

  4. Anonymous
    Posted November 5, 2008 at 11:55 am | Permalink

    That is a silly comment.
    Of course your landlord will just tack on any cost increases to your rental bill.The landlord can apply to the rent tribunal for that increase and has to only show the adjusted tax bill to get that increase. There has never been a tribunal action/decision that would negate a tax increase on property.

  5. Anonymous
    Posted November 5, 2008 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

    I don’t think the landlord actually has to apply. He can just raise the rent. It’s up to the tenant to complain to the tribunal and then the landlord has to justify the increase. Property tax and utility increases are guaranteed to be approved.

  6. Chris
    Posted November 6, 2008 at 3:47 am | Permalink

    however they are only allowed to raise it a percentage per year, and most do that anyways to buffer themselves from the incoming costs that they incur

  7. Anonymous
    Posted November 6, 2008 at 9:21 am | Permalink


    The tenant still has to lodge a formal complaint if the landlord exceeds the percentage and the commission can permit the landlord to exceed the limit … for things like taxes.

  8. Anonymous
    Posted November 6, 2008 at 9:27 am | Permalink

    The following is from the Ontario Landlord and Tenant Board’s website.

    Landlords may apply to the landlord and Tenant Board for an increase above the guideline, if their costs for the municipal taxes or utilities have increased by more than the guideline + 50%.

    Landlords may also apply for an increase above the guideline for operating costs related to security services and for eligible capital expenditures.

Post a Comment

Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: